The next election in El Paso County will be the Coordinated Election on November 7, 2017.

We have compiled the answers to some of the questions most frequently asked about voting and the election process.  If your question isn’t answered here, please call (719) 575-VOTE (8683) or e-mail

What can I use to mark my ballot?

Please use a pen with black or blue ink.  Do not use pencils or pens of another color.

How can I return my ballot?

More information for the 2017 Coordinated Election will be coming soon!

When do I have to return my ballot?

A ballot must be received by the El Paso County Clerk and Recorder’s Office by 7:00 PM on Election Day.  Postmarked ballots cannot count.

How much postage should I attach to my return ballot envelope?

More information will coming soon!

What is the latest date I should mail my ballot?

To help ensure that your ballot is received by 7:00 PM on Election Day, we do not recommend mailing your ballot after November 1.  If you need to return your ballot after November 1, please use one of the 24-hour secure drop boxes.

How do I replace a lost, damaged, or a spoiled ballot?

If you need a replacement ballot, call 719-575-VOTE (8683) or visit any one of the Voter Service and Polling Centers that will be open by Election Day.  You can be issued a replacement ballot, whether you have your old ballot or not. More information on locations will be coming soon.

​I forgot to sign my ballot envelope.  Is that a problem?

You must sign your ballot envelope in order for your ballot to be counted.  If you forgot to sign your return envelope, call 719-575-VOTE (8683) immediately.  The Election Department will be contacting you by mail on how to correct the problem.  However, once you realize the mistake, please call.

I forgot to put my ballot in the secrecy sleeve. Is that a problem?

Your vote will be counted even if you forgot to use the secrecy sleeve. The secrecy sleeve is an additional privacy measure, but not required for your vote to be counted.

How do I register to vote?  When is the deadline to register for the election?
Online registration can be done at the Colorado Secretary of State website.   Or, you may visit any Voter Service and Polling Center. Under Colorado law, you may register through Election Day.
However, to receive your ballot by mail, you must register to vote on or before Monday, October 31. After October 31, visit a Voter Service and Polling Center to register and vote.

How do I update my voter registration?

You may update your voter registration online at the Colorado Secretary of State website or in person at a Voter Service and Polling Center. 

Since the last election, I have moved.  What do I do?

Update your voter registration online at the Colorado Secretary of State website or in person at a Voter Service and Polling Center.

​I compared my ballot to a friend’s and noted the difference in candidates and issues.  What determines your ballot?

The precinct and district(s) where your residence is located determines the candidates and issues that will appear on your ballot. The breakdown of precinct numbering is provided on the County Election Department website.

I have impaired vision and have difficulty using a mail ballot. How can I vote with privacy?

Each Voter Service and Polling Center is equipped with ADA accessible touch screen voting machines for voters with disabilities.

​How do I check that my ballot has been received and counted?

Enter your voter information in the Colorado Secretary of State website. The status of your ballot will be indicated.

I am a member of the military and will be absent from my residence during the election.  Or, I am a U.S. citizen residing out of the country. How can I vote?

Information on voting for individuals who qualify under the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) may be obtained at and also on the County Election Department website or by calling 719-575-VOTE (8683). 

​I am attending college out of state, can I still vote in Colorado?

Yes, you may retain your voter registration at your Colorado residence and vote by mail. 

​My spouse has passed away.  How do I have his/her name taken off the voter records?

You may send the Clerk and Recorder’s Office a written, signed notice with the deceased voter’s full name, date of birth and address. Call 719-575-VOTE (8683) for more information and to request this form. 

​Additional Information

For answers to questions on a broad sphere of election related topics, please visit the website for the Colorado Secretary of State.

Photo of Pikes Peak

El Paso County Elections 


Photo Credit: Colorado Springs Convention & Visitors Bureau